Growing Flannels on TikTok
VERB worked with Flannels to grow their TikTok channel and raise awareness of the brand with a high impact one-off campaign. As an evolving destination for the online consumer, VERB were delighted to take on the challenge and establish the e-commerce offering amongst the younger more digitally savvy consumer demographic.
Flannels is a multi-brand retailer, home to luxury clothing, footwear and accessories from the most coveted global designer brands. However, despite its greater portfolio of stores across all regions in the UK, it’s still a lesser known retailer. The ambition for this campaign was to build awareness; but build awareness with the younger, more trend conscious consumer.
There were two key business objectives for this campaign:
- In the short term this was Awareness and Retention. Our goal was to grow the Flannels TikTok following by 100k during the 6-week campaign period, with a focus on the UK. We wanted to keep the user engaged through content that resonates with the target younger demographic – entertaining, aspirational and engaging.
- In the long term, the goal was for those new consumers to convert to customers. We wanted to position Flannels as the go-to destination for luxury fashion.
Our social team managed the influencer campaign end to end, including influencer outreach, shortlisting the creators, briefing the content and curating the campaign deliverables in line with the desired outcome and brief.
We saw that the Flannels consumer was largely the “luxury advocate” consumer. The younger generation of consumers who adore and aspire to own luxury brands. We saw that this trend is largely regional but that we also needed to tap into a mindset. We knew that we needed to work with influencers who emulated the style of the target consumer: to build aspiration. This wasn’t just about following; this was about working with talent that resonated.
Bringing our social media, influencer, content and media teams together, we worked with 30 TikTok creators, with a combined following of 9.5m.
The key KPIs for the TikTok campaign included Views, Follower growth and Engagement.
We launched an 8-week-long #ImTheMainCharacter Hashtag Challenge, which encouraged participation by giving entrants the chance to win a Flannels gift card. To grow Flannels’ organic presence 40 assets with 10 Creators were created, delivering over 60 pieces of content for the 8-week campaign.
Our influencer approach was three fold: first we built a campaign brief that saw each creator choose their ultimate Flannels’ outfit and create a TikTok against the #ImTheMainCharacter brief. Secondly we ran a content shoot in-store with creators allowing us to co-create content for the TikTok hashtag challenge. Thirdly, we launched the campaign with the creator’s content, first with the media Hashtag Challenge format, as well as organically across both the talent and brand’s channels.
Overall the influencer work delivered 40 unique videos and the Challenge drove 400+ UGC videos and an overall # reach of 3bn+.
In order to effectively evaluate the success of the Flannels TikTok project, there were a number of campaign measures in place. See below the tools used in order to highlight the campaign effectiveness and reasoning to support the success.
- Using the Hashtag Challenge format (HTC) was a great mechanism to encourage followers to get involved and participate in the Flannels campaign, helping increase awareness of the brand and their TikTok profile through the popular content creators.
- Carefully selected creator partners. We selected the partners based on their performance metrics but also based on the brand fit. Flannels were looking to align the brand to the luxury market but also to appeal to that younger trend conscious consumer. By selecting talent who we knew emulated that consumer and style, we knew we would be driving aspiration for the target audience. We ensured the creators had the right audience, but that they too would create on-brand content that Flannels would feel comfortable sharing.
- Beta follower growth media format feature on TikTok allowed us to optimise paid activity towards follower growth which helped to increase the channel following during the campaign period. Following this we were able to utilise our creator content and reach a wider audience across the platform.
➔ 3 billion views on the hashtag #ImTheMainCharacter
➔ 467 UGC videos generated over the campaign period
➔ 32.6m video views
➔ 39k increase in followers