Re-targeting: Keep your customers coming back

andrew-authorAndrew Hadley (@baby_donthurtme)

Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 12.44.50

Re-capture the interest. Turn a user into a paying customer.

Around 2% of initial site visitors lead to an instant sales conversion; most need to be prodded, and then prodded again. Re-targeting is a marketing method that aims to engage with the remaining 98%; the previous users who expressed an interest, but aren’t yet paying customers.

Re-targeting tracks previous traffic to your site and then places adverts on sites that are viewed after to try and encourage users to revisit and make a purchase. Re-targeting is capable of placing an ad for your site on a large proportion of the internet, including leading sites such as Google and Facebook. The Google Display Network reaches 92% of the internet. So, if a visitor has engaged with your site and then left, having strategically placed advertising significantly increases the likelihood of their return.

As part of Verb’s re-targeting strategy, we partner with AdRoll and Google. Recent case studies have indicated that successful re-targeting can generate ROI as high as 850%. With such an ROI potential, re-targeting is a practice implemented by companies in every business sector. With such a profit potential, it is something online brands can no longer ignore.

But how does re-targeting work?

It works by tracking each organic user. A small piece of code is placed on your site. When a user visits your site, the code drops an anonymous Cookie, which tracks their interest. Later, when the same user searches the internet, the cookie notifies your re-targeting provider, and they display an Ad tailored to that user. Cookies ensure that retargeted ads are only sent to previous site users who have not made a purchase. In other words, your investment is directly aimed at the users that are interested, but yet to purchase. That sounds very technical but the truth is, with the right company running your retargeting campaign, all you need to know is that, customers who have visited your site and not made a purchase, will be targeted with adverts to bring them back to your website.

Here’s an example of a re-targeting ad, with a clear call to action. It is also interactive, offering a quick, eye-catching overview of some of the things Verb can do:

verb (1)

So why use it?

The main reason brands are implementing re-targeting is because it increases engagement: Site Visitation can be increased by as much as 726%; likewise Branded Search has increased by up to 1046%, and, as discussed, ROI increases due to a significant increase in conversion rate.

At Verb, we pride ourselves on helping our clients to construct effective re-targeting strategies.

If you want to increase your conversion rate, get in contact with us here.